Part of the Ryan Miller trade was a conditional pick from the Blues which at best could be a 2014 1st rounder and at worst be a 2016 3rd rounder if no conditions are met. Here are the known conditions to the pick:
The Sabres receive the Blues’ 1st round pick in 2014 and 3rd round pick in 2016, Sabres send their 2014 2nd round pick acquired in the Pominville trade and their own 2014 3rd rounder to the Blues if:
– If St. Louis makes it to the Western Conference Finals and Miller appears in at least 50% of the game minutes accumulated by Blues’ goalies during the 1st and 2nd round of the 2014 playoffs
– If St. Louis signs Miller before the Blues’ first round selection in the 2014 draft, 2014 1st rounder, Sabres send the 2014 2nd round pick acquired in the Pominville trade and their own 2014 3rd rounder to the Blues.
– If the Blues trade Miller to another team before their own 1st round selection the 2014 draft.
If none of the above conditions are met the Sabres receive the Blues’ 2016 2nd rounder if:
– Blues sign Miller after their 1st round draft selection in the 2014
– Blues trade Miller to another team after Blues’ 1st round draft selection and prior to July 1, 2014
– Blues sign Miller during the 2014-15 season
If no conditions are met the Sabres receive the Blues 3rd round pick in 2016.podcast